Women’s Perspectives #6: We Are Here: How I Add Value to Society
Published in 2011
We Are Here (Women’s Perspectives Issue 6) showcases writings by adult literacy/basic education learners across all levels, including transitions/developmental education students. In the call for writings, student writers were encouraged to reflect and to share ideas on the theme “We Are Here: How I Add Value to Society.”
- In what ways were you successful before you came back to school? What would you like others to know about those experiences?
- What are your best qualities? How are they helping you continue your education? How might they help you in the future?
- What contributions have you been making to society (e.g., organizing in your neighborhood, leadership in your church, helping at your child’s school)? How are you already valuable to your community?
Through personal stories, poems, opinion essays, advice, or other forms of writing, students addressed issues such as family, community involvement, work experiences, mentoring, immigration support, and educational achievements and goals. The writings show strength, courage, hope, determination, love, kindness, respect and many other attributes demonstrated by adult learners who add value to local and global communities.
Download Full Issue (pdf version – 2.4 mb)
Download Pre-Writing Activities and lesson plans for Issue #6
Some of the pre-writing suggestions have links to resources on the internet. For your convenience, we have listed them all here as well.
- Interview with Shellie Walters
- Recording of a young woman reading Litany for Survival (YouTube)
- Movie trailer with Audre Lorde talking about her life and work and reading from Litany for Survival (YouTube)
- Song: You Gotta Be by Des'Ree (YouTube)
- Song: When They Know Who We Are (Recording by Women to Woman Chorus, Canada)
- Song: Walk, Sister, Walk (Recording by Women to Woman Chorus, Canada)
- Song: Sister, You Keep Me Fighting (Recording by Women to Woman Chorus, Canada)
- Faces of WE LEARN Pictures
Available for Purchase: Regular Price: $5.00 | Member Price $3.00
To order in bulk (10+copies), please contact us directly: firstname.lastname@example.org