Women-Focused Literacy Services
WE LEARN promotes collaboration, learning, and networking among individuals and organizations working with women. Over the years, we have noticed a decline in the number of adult basic education/literacy programs that conscientiously serve women learners or that integrate women-focused curriculum.
This is a short list of the programs we know about.
We define intentionally women-focused literacy services as those that contain two or more of the following components:
- Enroll only women; AND/OR
- Articulate a mission or vision focused directly on addressing the adult basic literacy/education needs of women; AND/OR
- Includes some form of curriculum design or programming that consciously address or support the gender-based societal issues or learning needs related to women.
Our goal is to create communities of practice among those organizations and agencies with similar visions. Please let us know who we can add to this list.
- Mercy Learning Center of Bridgeport, Bridgeport
- Women of the World - PALS - Partnering Ambassadors for Life and Service, Athens
- Caroline Center, Baltimore
- Care Center, Holyoke
- Julie's Familiy Learning Program, Boston
- Mujeres Unidas AvanzandoMujeres Unidas Avanzando (MUA), Boston
- Notre Dame Education Center, Boston
- Project Hope, Dorchester
- St. Mary's Center for Women & Children, Dorchester
- W.O.W. - Women of WAITT House, Roxbury
- Mercy Education Project, Detroit
- Women in Charge, University City
- Womensource Training Institute, Linwood
- Grace Outreach, Bronx