WE LEARN takes pride in creating a truly unique event. Here are some things you can expect if you attend a WE LEARN (Net)Working Conference & Gathering.
- Women-centered learning environment;
- Adult learners involved as presenters and speakers as well as attendees (Attendance in 2012 was 35% learners);
- Workshop presenters include ABE students as well as teachers and researchers;
- Keynote address, workshops, panels or town hall;
- Exhibit area & Resources exchange;
- Topics that are practical, as well as theoretical and academic;
- Activities that are participatory, hands-on, and/or reflective;
- Spaces for healing, music, making art, performance and storytelling, and other "alternative" happenings;
- Time for physical activity such as walks, exercise, or yoga;
- Healthy breakfast and lunch (with vegetarian options) included;
- A sensory environment filled with colorful banners, fresh flowers, music, art, and other beauties;
- Accessibility: , Spanish-language translation, affordable registration, and more;
- ABE student scholarships and work-exchange for part-time teachers & university students available;
- A friendly, welcoming, warm, and festival-like environment.
The theme for 2014 – Women’s Literacy Gardens – moves our attention towards cultivating, growing, and nourishing our selves & our communities through language, thought, and action.
The annual WE LEARN gathering builds a community of co-learners. We respect each other as knowledgeable. We all have experiences to learn from and stories to share. Through conversations and activities, we continue to surprise each other about the ways we have creatively come to make meaning in our lives.